Many things could result in WDDM service not running so in the beginning, you may want to start WDDM again on your own then change its Startup type to Automatic. In the case that the issue persists, you should update drivers on your computers in Safe Mode, download and install available Windows updates, … You don’t know how to carry out the solutions and could use some help? Then this article is exactly what you need.
WDDM Service Won’t Run: Reasons
Like its contemporaries, Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) service could experience a number of issues in use. Regarding WDDM service not running, the usual suspects include bugs, drivers and Windows updates. On the bright side, if you know what must be done, you should be able to get WDDM service back to work in a matter of moments.
Approaches To The Situation
Check Out WDDM In Service
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Services and press Enter.
- Step 2: In Services, locate WDDM service, right-click it and pick Properties.
- Step 3: If Service status says stopped, hit Start. Also, you should change Startup type to Automatic. That will make WDDM service run automatically as you turn on your computer.
- Step 4: Select Apply then choose OK.
- Step 5: Restart your computer.
Update Drivers In Safe Mode
Boot Into Safe Mode
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Step 2: Select Update & Security then choose Recovery.
- Step 3: Hit Restart now under Advanced startup.
- Step 4: After your PC finishes restating, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
- Step 5: Depending on the situation, you could press either 4 (F4) to boot into Safe Mode or 5 (F5) to boot into Safe Mode with Networking.
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type devmgmt.msc then press Enter to open Device Manager.
- Step 2: Right-click each of the devices then pick Update driver.
- Step 3: The moment the process completes, restart your computer.
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings, choose Update & Security and select Check for updates.
- Step 2: If an update is available, allow Windows to download and install it.
- Step 3: As soon as the update completes, restart your computer.
Questions About WDDM Service
What Exactly Is WDDM Service??
Generally speaking, Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) is a graphic driver architecture that facilitates graphics stability and performance. By taking advantage of cross-process sharing and virtual video memory management, WDDM enhances fault tolerance which leads to smooth graphic rendering. Its main advantage is complete compatibility with DirectX Graphics Infrastructure (DXGI) interfaces. That eases device management and graphics creation in most of the cases.
Is WDDM The Same As XDDM?
XDDM is in essence the Windows 2000 Display Driver Model. XDDM was used in legacy operating systems and replaced with WDDM.
For your information, quite a few differences exist between XDDM and WDDM. For instance in, XDDM, the display driver operated in a Kernel-mode. On the other hand, in WDDM, the display driver operates in a User-mode. Also, during operations, XDDM utilizes I/O control codes to transfer data while WDDM relies on a combination of Direct3D runtime and the WDDM graphics kernel subsystem for data transfer.
Which Windows Operating Systems Have WDDM?
All Windows operating systems starting from Windows Vista should have Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). Regardless, to make use of WDDM, computers must have a Direct3D 9-capable video card. Moreover, the computer display driver must be capable of empowering Direct3D 9Ex runtime to execute legacy Direct3D applications.
What Is The Latest Version Of WDDM?
At the moment, the latest version of WDDM is WDDM 2.7 included in Windows 10 May 2020 update.
Fredrik is one of Europe’s most experienced investors and one of the most trusted advisors to the Creandum portfolio companies.
At Creandum, Fredrik is an early backer of several companies that have grown to dominate their respective markets, among others Spotify, KRY / LIVI, depop and Kahoot!. Focusing on B2B- and B2C companies disrupting large markets, often with marketplace models, he also leads or has led Creandum’s work with Virta Health, Shapr3D, Xeneta, Careship, Soundtrack Your Brand, Cint (sold to Nordic Capital), Videoplaza (Ooyala), 13th Lab (Facebook) and Autobutler (PSA Group).