If you notice that Windows Update Standalone Installer is stuck at “Searching for updates on this computer…”, Servicing Stack Update (SSU) must be outdated and you should update it. Aside from that, you could run Windows Update troubleshooter, stop and restart Windows Installer service, etc. Unable to carry out the solutions on your own? In that case, this article could help you out.
An Analysis Of The Issue
Generally speaking, you could come across a couple of issues while using Windows Update Standalone Installer. Still, if “Searching for updates on this computer…” lingers, you should pay special attention to the suspects down below:
- Servicing Stack Update (SSU)
- Windows Installer service
What Must Be Done
Unable to recall the last time you updated SSU? Then there is a good chance that SSU is out-of-date which messes up Windows Update Standalone Installer. To get Windows Update Standalone Installer to work as expected, you have to update SSU.
- Step 1: Launch your web browser, visit the SSU download website and look for the latest version for your system.
- Step 2: Download and install the SSU update.
- Step 3: As soon as the process concludes, give Windows Update Standalone Installer one more go.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
As the name suggests, the Windows Update troubleshooter excels at taking care of issues that involve updates. Thus, if Windows Update Standalone Installer is unable to get past “Searching for updates on this computer…”, you should run Windows Update troubleshooter at once. To run Windows Update troubleshooter, go through the steps down below:
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Step 2: Choose Update & Security then update Troubleshoot.
- Step 3: Pick Additional troubleshooters and click Windows Update.
- Step 4: Hit Run the troubleshooter then wait until the troubleshooting completes.
- Step 5: Assuming that the troubleshooter manages to identify the cause, click Apply this fix.
Stop And Restart Windows Installer Service
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Services and press Enter.
- Step 2: In Services, locate Windows Installer, right-click it and pick Properties.
- Step 3: Under Service status, hit Stop, wait for a moment and hit Start. You should use the opportunity to change Startup type to Automatic as well. After you finish, restart your computer and determine whether the issue persists.
Questions Regarding Windows Update
Why is my computer not able to complete updates?
If your Windows device is incapable of completing updates, make sure that you have a working router and your Internet connection is stable. Aside from that, see if you have enough space available on the hard drive to accommodate updates. You could also restart your PC several times. In the case that nothing works, contact customer support and let an expert troubleshoot in your stead.
How should I update Windows?
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings, click Update & Security and pick Check for updates.
- Step 2: If an update is available, allow Windows to download and install it.
- Step 3: When the update wraps up, restart your computer.
Do I have to wait long for an update to complete?
The answer to that question changes from case to case. Usually, the length of a Windows update depends on Internet connection, size of updates and so on. On occasions, you have to wait for hours for an update to conclude. Regardless, outside of emergencies, you should let the update run all the way and avoid disrupting it.
What would happen if I disrupt Windows updates?
In the case that the update process is disrupted, the odds of corruption spike. That means your Windows PC could run into many problems the next time you turn it on. Because of that, it’s best to leave your computer alone during the update. If your computer is a laptop, remember to plug it in.
Fredrik is one of Europe’s most experienced investors and one of the most trusted advisors to the Creandum portfolio companies.
At Creandum, Fredrik is an early backer of several companies that have grown to dominate their respective markets, among others Spotify, KRY / LIVI, depop and Kahoot!. Focusing on B2B- and B2C companies disrupting large markets, often with marketplace models, he also leads or has led Creandum’s work with Virta Health, Shapr3D, Xeneta, Careship, Soundtrack Your Brand, Cint (sold to Nordic Capital), Videoplaza (Ooyala), 13th Lab (Facebook) and Autobutler (PSA Group).