In most of the cases, “Runtime Error (at -1:0): Cannot Import dll…” is the result of Windows failing to find a dll file. To fix the error, all you have to do is to download the dll file and place it in the right folder. Besides that, you could update Windows, reset Microsoft Store cache, scan for malware, perform SFC and DISM scans, etc. Take a look at this article to learn how to get rid of the error for good.
What Causes The Error
In case you don’t know, Windows computers could experience many errors in the course of operation. Still, once it comes to “Runtime Error (at -1:0): Cannot Import dll…”, you keep in mind these suspects:
- Missing dll file
- Microsoft Store cache
A Few Fixes
Download The DLL
As mentioned above, “Runtime Error (at -1:0): Cannot Import dll…” is usually caused by a missing dll file. That means the error would go away if you download the dll file and place it in the right folder. The error message should tell you the name of the dll file as well as the link to the folder. Here is an example: let’s say the error message is “Runtime Error (at -1:0): Cannot Import dll:<utf8>%AppData%\Local\VCLStylesSkin\VclStylesIno.dll”:
- Step 1: Download VcIStylesno.dll (link).
- Step 2: After the download finishes, extract the zip file.
- Step 3: Move VcIStylesno.dlll to %AppData%\Local\VCLStylesSkin\.
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings, choose Update & Security and select Check for updates.
- Step 2: If an update for Windows is available, proceed to download and install it.
- Step 3: As soon as the update wraps up, restart your computer.
Reset Microsoft Store Cache
- Step 1: Press Windows key
- Step 2: Type WSReset.
- Step 3: Hit Enter.
Scan For Malware
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings, click Update & Security and pick Virus & threat protection in Windows Security.
- Step 2: Choose Scan options then select Full scan.
- Step 3: Hit Scan now, allow the scan to go all the way and restart your computer.
Perform SFC And DISM Scans
- Step 1: Press Windows key, type cmd and hit Run as administrator to open Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
- Step 2: In Command Prompt (Admin), type sfc /scannow and press enter to perform the SFC scan.
- Step 3: The moment the SFC scan completes, type the following and press Enter every time you complete each to perform the DISM scan:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Step 4: When the DISM scan wraps up, close Command Prompt and restart your computer.
- Step 5: Determine whether the issue persists once the screen comes back on.
Other Runtime Errors Inquiries
What Causes Runtime Errors On Browsers?
All in all, when a software or hardware issue messes up the functions of web browsers, runtime error is one of the consequences. For instance, if a website uses HTML code that is incompatible with a web browser, runtime errors could emerge.
How Do I Tackle Runtime Errors On Chrome?
To take care of runtime errors on Chrome, go through the steps down below:
- Step 1: Open Chrome, press Ctrl +Shift+ Delete and hit Clear data.
- Step 2: Press Windows key, type Control Panel and hit Enter.
- Step 3: In Control Panel, navigate to User Accounts > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials, remove all credentials under Generic Credentials and restart your computer.
What Must Be Done To Prevent Runtime Errors?
- Make sure that each occurrence of an array element is not out of bounds.
- Avoid declaring an excessive amount of memory.
- Minimize the use of variables that have not been initialized.
- Use return as the end statement.
Fredrik is one of Europe’s most experienced investors and one of the most trusted advisors to the Creandum portfolio companies.
At Creandum, Fredrik is an early backer of several companies that have grown to dominate their respective markets, among others Spotify, KRY / LIVI, depop and Kahoot!. Focusing on B2B- and B2C companies disrupting large markets, often with marketplace models, he also leads or has led Creandum’s work with Virta Health, Shapr3D, Xeneta, Careship, Soundtrack Your Brand, Cint (sold to Nordic Capital), Videoplaza (Ooyala), 13th Lab (Facebook) and Autobutler (PSA Group).