If you find the “OneDrive needs your attention” notification annoying, it’s possible to get rid of it by signing into your OneDrive account. Aside from that, you could sign out and sign back into your OneDrive account, reset OneDrive, stop syncing, apply changes to Windows Registry, modify the file permissions, etc. Continue reading to be able to dismiss the notification from OneDrive.
Removing The Notification: Fixes
- Step 1: Select the OneDrive icon then choose Sign in
- Step 2: Enter your email address and your password.
- Step 3: Sign into your account.
Sign Out And Sign Back In
- Step 1: Click the OneDrive icon on system tray, pick the cogwheel icon and hit Quit OneDrive.
- Step 2: Go to Search bar, type OneDrive and press Enter.
- Step 3: Hit Sign in, enter your account details and sign in.
Reset One Drive
- Step 1: Press Windows + R to open Run.
- Step 2: In Run, type %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe /reset and hit Enter.
- Step 3: After you finish, sign into your OneDrive account and see how things turn out.
- Step 1: Go to the System tray then click the OneDrive icon.
- Step 2: Hit the cogwheel icon then select Settings.
- Step 3: Go to the Account tab, find the folder OneDrive is failing to sync then click Stop sync.
Take Advantage Of The Registry Editor
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Regedit and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Step 2: As a precaution, you should create a backup of the registry (File > Export).
- Step 3: Hit the arrow next HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then navigate to the directory: SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive
- Step 4: Right-click DisableFileSync, pick modify, change the value in the Value data box to 0 and hit OK.
- Step 5: Double-click DisableFileSyncNGSC, change the value in the Value data box to 0 and pick OK to save the changes.
- Step 6: Restart your computer.
Modify File Permissions
- Step 1: Press Windows + E to open File Explorer then find the file/folder that you believe to be the cause for the notification.
- Step 2: Right-click the filer/folder then pick Properties.
- Step 3: Go to the Security tab then hit Advanced.
- Step 4: Click Add then pick Select a principal.
- Step 5: Type your username in the box provided then click Check names to verify your username.
- Step 6: Hit OK to save the changes, go back to the Security tab and check the checkbox beside Full Control.
- Step 7: Select Apply, choose OK and restart your computer.
For the files and folders to be synced to OneDrive, you must sign into your OneDrive account. Hence, regarding the “OneDrive needs your attention” notification not going away, you should sign into your OneDrive account.
Similar to its contemporaries, OneDrive could act up every now and then as a result of bugs. Unable to get rid of the “OneDrive needs your attention” notification? Then it’s a good idea to give bugs some thought. On the bright side, it takes little work to take care of bugs.
For your information, files and folders on Windows only let those who have suitable permissions manage them. If your OneDrive is syncing but you don’t have appropriate permissions, OneDrive will prompt you to check for permissions.
Should I use OneDrive?
In a nutshell, OneDrive is a cloud service provided by Microsoft that allows people to store data online. OneDrive users can share their files/folders and access them from everywhere on their devices. If you need quality online storage, OneDrive won’t let you down.
Is OneDrive free?
OneDrive offers different plans which suit different people. For instance, OneDrive Basic is free and users have up to 5 GB. On the other hand, OneDrive Standalone costs $19.99 per year or $1.99 per month. OneDrive is also included in other Microsoft subscriptions: Microsoft 365 Family, Microsoft 365 Personal, etc.
What are the alternatives for OneDrive?
If you don’t like OneDrive, you could opt for Google Drive, Dropbox, iDrive and so on to store data. All cloud services have their ups and downs so you should think it through prior to deciding.
Fredrik is one of Europe’s most experienced investors and one of the most trusted advisors to the Creandum portfolio companies.
At Creandum, Fredrik is an early backer of several companies that have grown to dominate their respective markets, among others Spotify, KRY / LIVI, depop and Kahoot!. Focusing on B2B- and B2C companies disrupting large markets, often with marketplace models, he also leads or has led Creandum’s work with Virta Health, Shapr3D, Xeneta, Careship, Soundtrack Your Brand, Cint (sold to Nordic Capital), Videoplaza (Ooyala), 13th Lab (Facebook) and Autobutler (PSA Group).