Overall, if you run into Netflix Error Code W8156-88890001, your graphics and audio drivers must have been obsolete. To get rid of the error, it’s strongly recommended that you update the display and audio drivers. Depending on the situation, you should consider clearing the browser cache, disabling exclusive mode, uninstalling and reinstalling Netflix, applying changes to Windows Registry, etc. Continue reading to be able to enjoy Netflix to the fullest.
Fixing Error Code W8156-88890001 On Netflix: Suggestions
Update Graphics & Audio Drivers
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Device Manager.
- Step 2: Locate your graphics and audio drivers, right-click each of them and pick Update driver.
- Step 3: Follow onscreen instructions.
- Step 4: As soon as the update concludes, restart your computer.
- Step 5: When the screen comes back on, launch Netflix and see how things turn out.
Clear The Browser Cache
In case you don’t know, the browser cache stores all sorts of data to facilitate functions of websites and Netflix is not an exception. If you have a hard time using Netflix, you should clear the browser cache.
Here is an example: Let’s say that you use Microsoft Edge
- Step 1: Launch Microsoft Edge, click the ellipses (…) and pick Settings.
- Step 2: Choose Privacy search and services then select Choose what to clear next to clear browsing data now. Check all the checkboxes, hit Clear now and let the process go all the way. Last but not least, restart Microsoft Edge.
Disable Exclusive Mode
- Step 1: Locate the speaker icon on the right of the taskbar, right-click it and pick Sounds.
- Step 2: Go to the Playback tab, right-click your default playback device and pick Properties.
- Step 3: Go to the Advanced tab, uncheck the check box next to Exclusive Mode, select Apply and choose OK.
Uninstall And Reinstall Netflix
Netflix is an app and it’s not uncommon for apps to become damaged, corrupted, … as time passes by. Thus, regarding Netflix Error Code W8156-88890001, it won’t hurt to uninstall and reinstall Netflix.
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Control Panel and press Enter.
- Step 2: In Control Panel, change View by to Category then hit Uninstall a program under Program.
- Step 3: Locate Netflix, right-click it and pick Uninstall.
- Step 4: Restart your computer after the process finishes.
- Step 5: Reinstall Netflix.
Make Use Of Registry Editor
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Regedit and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Step 2: Click File then pick Export to create a backup of the registry so you could recover your PC if you mess up.
- Step 3: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio
- Step 4: Double-click DisableProtectedAudioDG, change its value to 0 and hit OK.
- Step 5: Close Registry Editor, restart your computer and determine whether the issue persists.
What Might Have Gone Wrong
In most of the cases, Netflix works as expected but once it comes to Netflix Error Code W8156-88890001, you should take these possibilities into account:
- Outdated display and audio drivers.
- Corruption in the cache.
- Exclusive mode.
Questions About Netflix
What are the prices for Netflix plans?
Netflix provides three plans to its users but the rate varies depending on the location. The Basic plan features standard definition streaming quality, supports one device and comes at a cost of $9.99. At $15.99 is the Standard plan that offers high definition streaming quality and supports a total of two devices. The last plan is the Premium plan that costs $19.99, delivers 4K definition streaming quality and supports up to four devices.
Is it worth getting Netflix?
Netflix offers a wide selection of high-quality movies and TV shows. Furthermore, since the interface of Netflix is user-friendly, navigation is a walk in the park. If you desire solid entertainment, Netflix is for you.
What are the alternatives to Netflix?
Other alternative streaming platforms include Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Peacock, Apple TV, HBO Max, …
Fredrik is one of Europe’s most experienced investors and one of the most trusted advisors to the Creandum portfolio companies.
At Creandum, Fredrik is an early backer of several companies that have grown to dominate their respective markets, among others Spotify, KRY / LIVI, depop and Kahoot!. Focusing on B2B- and B2C companies disrupting large markets, often with marketplace models, he also leads or has led Creandum’s work with Virta Health, Shapr3D, Xeneta, Careship, Soundtrack Your Brand, Cint (sold to Nordic Capital), Videoplaza (Ooyala), 13th Lab (Facebook) and Autobutler (PSA Group).