If you notice your HP Officejet 3830 only printing in black and white, ink cartridges must have run dry and you need to replace them. Other solutions include resetting the printer, updating the printer driver, checking out printing settings, cleaning the printhead, and so on. Continue reading to learn what must be done to bring your HP printer back to normal.
HP Officejet 3830 Keeps Printing Black And White: Possibilities
Depleted Ink Cartridges
In layman’s terms, ink cartridges play a key role in the operation of printers. If ink cartridges run dry, it’s only natural for printers to act up while printing. Thus, once it comes to HP Officejet 3830 only printing in black and white, you should add depleted ink cartridges to your list of suspects.
All in all, if you disable color printing, your printer would print in black and white all the time. Because of that, regarding HP Officejet 3830 only printing in black and white, you must give printing settings some thought.
For your information, the printer driver influences the performance of printers for most of the time. If you neglect driver updates, your driver should become obsolete in no time and troubles ensue.
Unable to recall the last time you cleaned your HP printer? Then there is a good chance that the printhead is dirty. If ignored, the dirty printhead is going to cause all sorts of issues including printers only printing in back and white. On the bright side, it takes little work to take care of the dirty printhead
What You Could Do
Replace Ink Cartridges
Note: It won’t hurt to check out the ink levels to determine whether cartridge replacement is necessary.
- Step 1: Turn on the printer, insert a blank paper into the input tray and close the output tray extender
- Step 2: Push the tray back into the printer then open the exterior door and cartridge access door. Remember that the carriage moves toward the center of the printer.
- Step 3: As soon as the carriage stops moving, press down on the ink cartridge gently to release it then get it out of the way.
- Step 4: Get a new ink cartridge then remove the packaging and plastic tape.
- Step 5: Hold the new ink cartridge by its side then put it in the cartridge slot with nozzles facing the printer. Assuming that you don’t mess up, the cartridge is going to snap into place. Repeat the process until you have replaced all depleted cartridges. Last but not least, close the cartridge access door and exterior door, pull out the output tray, lift the extender then hit OK to align ink cartridges.
Reset The Printer
- Step 1: Turn off your HP Officejet 3830, disconnect it from the power supply and wait for a moment.
- Step 2: Reconnect the printer to the power supply, turn it on and print a colored document.
- Step 3: Determine whether the issue persists.
Update The Printer Driver
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Device Manager.
- Step 2: Expand Print queues, right-click your printer and pick Update driver.
- Step 3: Hir Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Step 4: Restart your computer.
Check Out Printing Settings
Open printing app, go to settings and apply changes if necessary. For instance, if an option saying Black & White is enabled, you should disable it. Besides that, it’s a good idea to enable options that allow color printing.
Clean The Printhead
In the beginning, turn off your HP Officejet 3830, disconnect it from the power supply and get the printhead out. Next, grab some wipes to clean the printhead from top to bottom. After you finish, return the printhead to its place, start up the printer again and see how things turn out.
Some Questions About Printer
How do I clean ink cartridges?
- Step 1: Insert a blank paper into the input tray.
- Step 2: Go to printer’s control panel, swipe to the left and hit Setup.
- Step 3: Select Tools then choose Clean Cartridges.
- Step 4: Wait for the printer to initiate the cleaning process and print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page
- Step 5: If the print quality is not up to your liking, follow onscreen instructions to initiate Second-level Cleaning.
What must be done to check out HP printer’s ink levels?
To check your printer’s current estimated ink levels, press the ink icon on your printer’s control panel. That should give you an estimate of how much ink is in the ink cartridges.
Fredrik is one of Europe’s most experienced investors and one of the most trusted advisors to the Creandum portfolio companies.
At Creandum, Fredrik is an early backer of several companies that have grown to dominate their respective markets, among others Spotify, KRY / LIVI, depop and Kahoot!. Focusing on B2B- and B2C companies disrupting large markets, often with marketplace models, he also leads or has led Creandum’s work with Virta Health, Shapr3D, Xeneta, Careship, Soundtrack Your Brand, Cint (sold to Nordic Capital), Videoplaza (Ooyala), 13th Lab (Facebook) and Autobutler (PSA Group).