While clean boot works wonders at troubleshooting issues, it’s not uncommon to see people asking about how to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot. In most of the cases, all you have to do is to turn on Normal Startup in System Configuration. Besides that, you could use Load Setup Defaults in BIOS. Continue reading to learn what must be done to get your Windows PC to start up normally.
Solution 1: Enable Normal Startup In System Configuration
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type msconfig and press Enter to open System Configuration.
- Step 2: Tick Normal Startup in General tab.
- Step 3: Navigate to Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox and hit Enable all.
- Step 4: Proceed to go to Startup tab then enable everything you see.
- Step 5: Select Apply, choose OK and restart your computer.
Solution 2: Use Load Setup Defaults In BIOS
- Step 1: Turn off your computer, wait for a minute and turn it back on.
- Step 2: As Windows begins to load, you must press the BIOS key. The BIOS key changes from computer to computer. Today, computers usually use F10, F2, F12, F1, DEL, … as the BIOS key. If you don’t know the BIOS key of your PC, search around on the Internet. Regardless, after you press the BIOS key, you should be taken to BIOS before long.
- Step 3: Navigate to Exit, locate Load Setup Defaults, hit it and confirm your action. Like the BIOS key, the name of Load Setup Defaults could also change: Load Optimal Defaults, Restore Defaults, …
- Step 4: Save changes and exit BIOS.
- Step 5: See how things turn out.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it safe to perform a clean boot?
All in all, there is nothing to worry about once it comes to clean boot. By performing a clean boot, you could deduce the nature of problems on your PC and fix them. Still, for good measure, it’s strongly recommended that you back up data in advance. By doing so, if the situation turns south and your PC won’t work as expected, you could minimize the disruption thanks to the backup.
What should I do after Startup Repair fails?
If Startup Repair fails to fix your computer trouble, the next solution is to use Windows installation media. If you don’t have installation media on hand, you’ll need to create one on a working computer and then use it to boot your PC.
Fredrik is one of Europe’s most experienced investors and one of the most trusted advisors to the Creandum portfolio companies.
At Creandum, Fredrik is an early backer of several companies that have grown to dominate their respective markets, among others Spotify, KRY / LIVI, depop and Kahoot!. Focusing on B2B- and B2C companies disrupting large markets, often with marketplace models, he also leads or has led Creandum’s work with Virta Health, Shapr3D, Xeneta, Careship, Soundtrack Your Brand, Cint (sold to Nordic Capital), Videoplaza (Ooyala), 13th Lab (Facebook) and Autobutler (PSA Group).