At a glance, Doki Doki Literature Club (DDLC) looks like many other visual novels out there but it’s actually a psychological horror game. Featuring a non-traditional narrative that breaks the fourth wall time and again, DDLC allows players to experience multiple endings as well as unlockable cutscenes. However, the moment players complete their first run, the game would be rendered unplayable. Thus, many discussions among those that like to see everything share the same topic: Doki Doki Literature Club reinstall.
Doki Doki Literature Club: Analysis
After finishing their first run, players will always receive the goodbye letter from Monika the next time they open the game. There is no way to get rid of this message as the game pretends like it is corrupted. That means if players wish to replay Doki Doki Literature Club for the unlockables, they have two choices: reinstall the game or delete the firstrun file.
A Guide On Resetting DDLC
Delete The Firstrun File
To reset Doki Doki Literature Club, the easiest way is to delete the firstrun file in the game folder. Compared to Doki Doki Literature Club reinstall, deleting the firstrun file takes less time and effort by all accounts.
- Step 1: Go to Steam\steamapps\common\Doki Doki Literature Club.
- Step 2: Find and delete the firstrun file.
- Step 3: Open the game, pick Yes once prompted and play like usual.
Reinstall Doki Doki Literature Club
In several cases, the deletion of DDLC files results in other problems. For instance, when launched, Doki Doki Literature Club may keep showing a black and white screen with a static version of Sayori’s death scene. If you cannot play the game, Doki Doki Literature Club reinstall is your last resort.
- Step 1: Uninstall Doki Doki Literature Club via Steam.
- Step 2: Find the DDLC folder and delete it.
- Step 3: Go to Steam then install the game again.
Is Doki Doki Literature Club safe for children?
The answer is no. The game page clearly indicates that Doki Doki Literature Club is not suitable for children as well as easily disturbed people. Moreover, when players open the game, it will show the warning again along with an age confirmation.
Why is Doki Doki Literature Club often described as creepy?
At first sight, this game looks like a normal dating sim, but it is not actually going that way. The game contains multiple twists and turns which make it in essence a high school horror with people dying gruesome deaths. Aside from that, instances of a certain game character breaking the fourth wall could make players’ hair stand up on the back of her neck
Does Doki Doki Literature Club contain jumpscare?
There is no definite answer to that question. The game does have jumpscares but they are not the “real”.
What will happen if I delete the file of Monika and add it back later?
That does not impact the progress of the game since DDLC cannot check whether you copied a file or not. However, adding Monika’s file back at some points in Act 4 will trigger a message saying “Please stop playing with my heart”.
How many endings are there in Doki Doki Literature Club?
Doki Doki Literature Club offers 3 different endings based on players’ actions throughout the game. The first ending is a “normal” one since most players will get this after the first play. The remaining two endings follow the traditional “bad” and “good” endings.
Is Doki Doki Literature Club free?
Yes, the game is free to play but if players want to support the developers then they can make donations.
What is the meaning of Doki Doki?
In Japanese sound symbolism, this word means the sound of a beating heart.
Is Natsuki female or male?
Natsuki is undeniably a girl not a “trap” like the rumours. Firstly, although the name Natuski is unisex, it is actually used more frequently by women. Moreover, she is built to look cute and short with pastel pink hair.
- If you want to experience the game in its entirety, it’s ill-advised me to search for endings and how to get them on the internet. Enter Doki Doki Literature Club blindly and see how things turn out.
- Since the game’s name contains the phrase “literature club”, writing is a vital part of the game. As you write poems for other characters in the club, pay attention to the game mechanics if you want to form a relationship. You will be given a set of keywords while writing and different words impact characters differently.
- Doki Doki Literature Club will add new files into the game folder during a playthrough. Therefore, if you spot new files, it’s highly likely that the game story will take a dark turn soon. Furthermore, the addition of new files marks the moment that players got caught in a loop.
- Once you have spent a certain amount in the game, Monika will realise that she is no more than a video game character with a personality controlled by codes. Hence, she will decide to delete everything and everybody in the game. That means to reach the credit, people must delete Monika’s file after a point. It’s essential to be careful though as deleting Monika’s file too early also causes problems. Instead of Monika, Sayori will be the person who is self-aware, thus leading to her blaming the players. Eventually, the game is going to close and if players decide to open the game again, they will see a terrible scene (Sayori’s hanging body).
- All in all, Doki Doki Literature Club is short and players can complete it in mere hours. Because of that, if you want to experience the game longer, it’s a good idea to download and install mods.
- Want to see the good ending? Then prepare to do some work. Players must unlock all the special CG scenes for every character. That will enable Sayori to return at the end and commend players for their effort in ensuring the happiness of everyone. Moreover, players will also see a message from the game’s creator, Dan Salvato.
Fredrik is one of Europe’s most experienced investors and one of the most trusted advisors to the Creandum portfolio companies.
At Creandum, Fredrik is an early backer of several companies that have grown to dominate their respective markets, among others Spotify, KRY / LIVI, depop and Kahoot!. Focusing on B2B- and B2C companies disrupting large markets, often with marketplace models, he also leads or has led Creandum’s work with Virta Health, Shapr3D, Xeneta, Careship, Soundtrack Your Brand, Cint (sold to Nordic Capital), Videoplaza (Ooyala), 13th Lab (Facebook) and Autobutler (PSA Group).