Published back in 2016, Darkest Dungeon stirred up the game community because of the simple but addictive turn-based RPG mechanic, roguelike graphics and so on. While playing the game, people have to rely on skill, effort and a bit of luck to progress. However, aside from the in-game enemies, other issues may block the progress of players and the Darkest Dungeon Assert Failed error is one of them. Needless to say, how to make this error message disappear is among the hotly discussed topics between Darkest Dungeon players nowadays.
What Might Have Gone Wrong
The Assert Failed error tends to appear when people start a new game or load an old save. There have been numerous players reporting this error but for some reason, the developers have yet to include a solution in the updates. Luckily, we could show you how to overcome the error on your own.
A List Of Solutions
Once it comes to troubleshooting, restart is what we call “old but gold” because it can solve a wide range of errors. All you have to do is to close the game, open it again and load your save/start a new game. You run into the Darkest Dungeon Assert Failed error out of the blue? Then close Darkest Dungeon, restart your computer and launch the game again when the screen comes back on.
Run Steam As Administrator And Verify The Game Cache
Whenever Steam games including Darkest Dungeon run into errors, it’s wise to exit Steam, run Steam as administrator and launch the game. In addition to that, you may want to verify game cache as well.
- Step 1: Open Steam
- Step 2: Right-click Darkest Dungeon or the gear icon on the right side of game’s Library page
- Step 3: Select Properties
- Step 4: Go to Local Files tab and then hit Verify integrity of game files
- Step 5: Wait for the process to complete
Disable The Antivirus Program
To put it plainly, your antivirus program might be the one that interferes with the performance of Darkest Dungeon and leads to the Darkest Dungeon Assert Failed error. Hence, if you have a hard time getting Darkest Dungeon to run, whitelist the game in your antivirus program.
- Step 1: Go to C:\Steam\userdata\SteamID\AppID\ and delete everything in there
- Step 2: Launch Darkest Dungeon and then Alt+Tab from it.
- Step 3: Open Steam and navigate to the Cloud tab in Steam’s settings.
- Step 4: Uncheck Enable Steam Cloud synchronisation for Darkest Dungeon
- Step 5: Exit from the game, close Steam and delete the AppID folder again.
Uninstall And Reinstall
- Step 1: Uninstall Darkest Dungeon.
- Step 2: Exit Steam.
- Step 3: Manually delete all the remaining files of the games on your computer.
- Step 4: Open Steam and install Darkest Dungeon again.
Will My Heroes Revive After Dying In A Mission?
No, your heroes’ deaths are permanent.
Can I Adjust The Difficulty Of Darkest Dungeon?
Yes, you can adjust to the difficulties. There are currently four available game modes – Darkest Mode, Radiant Mode, Stygian Mode and Bloodmoon Mode. However, it’s worth pointing out that even in the easiest mode, Darkest Dungeon is still harder than a lot of games out there.
How Long Does It Take To Finish Darkest Dungeon?
If you only care about the main quests, it usually takes an average of 55 hours to finish the game. However, if you want to challenge yourself by completing the game 100%, prepare to spend around 106 hours.
Will Darkest Dungeon Get A Sequel?
Absolutely yes, Red Hook Studios will not abandon such a promising title. Darkest Dungeon 2 entered its Early Access stage on October 26th, 2021, but you will need to play it from Epic Games Store because it is currently an exclusive title there.
- Always keep an eye on the party’s stress level. If you fail to do so, your heroes will be inflicted with negative buffs. Whenever the stress level reaches 100, it’s a good idea to send your heroes to the Abbey or Tavern to decrease that. You cannot use such heroes in the next mission but you do not want to bring mad persons into battles.
- 3rd and 4th enemy positions deal the most damage and that applies to regular, stress and health damage at once. In general, enemies standing in those positions either are able to mark your heroes or have the highest speed stats. The ideal strategy should be focusing on dealing with them first, stunning them or pulling to the frontline since most of the enemies cannot trigger their abilities in 1st and 2nd position.
- Scouting is important so you surely do not want to underestimate that. By paying attention to scouting, you can spot enemies and even surprise them instead of letting them surprise you. In addition to that, scouting can also reveal traps, secret rooms and quest items.
Fredrik is one of Europe’s most experienced investors and one of the most trusted advisors to the Creandum portfolio companies.
At Creandum, Fredrik is an early backer of several companies that have grown to dominate their respective markets, among others Spotify, KRY / LIVI, depop and Kahoot!. Focusing on B2B- and B2C companies disrupting large markets, often with marketplace models, he also leads or has led Creandum’s work with Virta Health, Shapr3D, Xeneta, Careship, Soundtrack Your Brand, Cint (sold to Nordic Capital), Videoplaza (Ooyala), 13th Lab (Facebook) and Autobutler (PSA Group).